Empower is seeking an Engineering Project Manager with 8+ years of relevant professional experience to lead engineering project managment.
The individual filling this role must have an exceptional work ethic, excellent communication skills, and a desire to be held, and to hold others, accountable. The engineer in this role must command both the respect and the trust of the engineering team.
We believe it’s important to be up front with expectations. Transparency and communication are of paramount importance to us. Accordingly, we want to make clear that working at Empower is demanding. The person in this leadership role will in part set the tone for the engineering team. So if you view your job as “work”, or if you’re looking for a 9-5, M-F role, with unlimited PTO, then this probably isn’t the right fit. The truth is that having a leadership position at a startup, particularly one that is making as big and quick an impact as we are making, is not for everyone. But if you love building amazing software, want to work with and lead a phenomenal team, have the confidence to be a part of a company disrupting one of the largest global brands, are looking to be challenged every day, and want your work to make a demonstrable impact on the world, then we’d love to chat.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, and senior leadership to turn the product vision into a tangible engineering roadmap
- Plan and lead engineering sprints
- Balance technical debt with new features to ensure that our development velocity achieves our business goals in a timely manner while minimizing future potential incidents
- Assign work to engineering team members and ensure a high quality product is timely delivered
- Lead engineering standups
- Conduct informal check-ins and ensure that your team members are not blocked
- Be involved in hiring additional engineering team members
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience
- 2+ years of experience either as a small team (3-5) lead and/or managing a larger (10+) group of engineers
- Experience architecting or developing software, ideally in the B2C space
- Past responsibility in hiring and, when necessary, firing process
- A sense of urgency, while recognizing the need to ship high quality products
- Startup experience or experience in a similarly intense environment
- You are passionate, flexible and accountable
- You have strong communication skills and are a great leader and teammate